Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thoughts about various things...

First off, I would like to wish my mother Cindy Sentementes a Happy Mother's Day! My mom is my hero, and I admire her more than any other person on this earth. Yes, I do constantly talk about Reba, Sarah Palin, etc., but my mom is in a whole different league. This year has been very difficult for my family, but for my mother especially. My younger sister, Callie, passed away on January 27, after fighting an extremely challenging battle with cancer for two years. I know this holiday has been hard for my mom this year, as Callie is no longer with us. I prayed this morning, asking the Lord for strength to support my mom on this day and be extremely sensitive to her feelings. So far, I think she has enjoyed the day. We are going to go to Marble Slab later which will be fun.

Moving onto politics, Mission Oust-Incumbents has commenced. Yesterday, 3-term incumbent, Republican Senator, Bob Bennett, failed to advance to the Utah Republican Primary. According to Newsmax , "Bennett survived a first round of voting Saturday among roughly 3,500 delegates but was eliminated when he finished a distant third in the second round. He garnered just under 27 percent of the vote while businessman Tim Bridgewater had 37 percent and attorney Mike Lee got 36 percent." Because Utah is an ultra-conservative state, residents are not pleased at Bennett's failure to carry out a conservative agenda. Bennett supported the bailout in 2008, and he has embraced a variety of programs that are unpopular among fiscal conservatives. I am very pleased with Bennett's failure to advance in the primary, and I am hoping that other incumbents do not receive the Republican nomination in the 2010 midterm election. I myself am a staunch fiscal and social conservative, eager to see the GOP pick up seats. I would absolutely LOVE to see new faces win Republican seats and end terms for incumbents. Some incumbents have consistently voted conservative on the issues, but the majority of incumbents are responsible for our party's failure to oppose the radical agenda occurring in the White House. I am sick and tired of the "politics as usual" mentality, and I would love to see real change in 2010. If the GOP can gain control of either the House or the Senate, I will be happy. Wouldn't it be nice to address our economic problems without dramatically increasing our deficit? If the GOP can substantially gain seats in 2010, perhaps we can tackle this recession by giving the people control of the money instead of granting more power to the federal government. Anyway, enough of my ranting...for now.

Concerning music, I have come to really enjoy listening to alternative country/rock stuff. I really like Wilco. Their song "I'll Fight for You" is at the top of my list of new favorites. Thanks to Meredith, I also like that Lady Gaga song "Alejandro". During finals week, I listened to a lot of bluegrass music to keep me energized and motivated. The banjo/fiddle mix really does it for me.

That's all for today, folks=]

Happy Mothers Day, Mommy!


The Del McCoury Band, my favorite bluegrass artists!


Vote Conservative first, Republican second

2 comments:

  1. Well I must say two things.

    One, your evaluation and explanation of the elections (or lack thereof) of incumbents within the GOP is very impressive. I love seeing how passionate you are! :)

    Second, I am very excited to finally have an image of Del McCoury to match to his music.

    ReplyDelete