Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Enchilada Wednesday

As much as I complain about my long, Greek surname, I wouldn't change it for anything. Sentementes sounds like sentimental, so it perfectly describes my outlook on life. I am extremely nostalgic about so many things. I enjoy reminiscing about what events occurred this time last year, two years ago, etc. I have a fairly good memory, and I intend to put it in good use. Some may ask, "Why waste your time dwelling on the past?", but I like to think of my revisiting past experiences as a time to relive those times in my life.

Some of my fondest memories occurred while eating. I cherish each year that I am able to attend my Family Reunion in Tallahassee, Florida. My southern relatives and I gather round large platters of soul food, and we discuss everything from religion to donuts (inside joke). While my Family Reunion only happens once a year, my family and I eat at El Fenix Tex-Mex Restaurant at least once a month. My grandparents have been going to El Fenix since they moved to Dallas in the 1950s. The Martinez Family opened El Fenix in 1918, so it's been around for a while.

I remember going to El Fenix as a child, even before I fell in love with Tex-Mex. I always enjoyed their amazing tortilla chips, though. I remember waiting for about an hour to order our food, so we could munch on chips and discuss recent goings-on. The phenomenon known to some of my family members as "Chippin' and Dippin'". I am so glad that I finally discovered just how amazing Mexican food is. I have to have it at least once a week, and I'm pretty confident that I could eat it everyday.

Every Wednesday since I can remember, El Fenix sells their classic Enchilada Dinner for the low, low price of $4.99. An added bonus to the amazing price, El Fenix receives so much business on Wednesdays which causes the food to always be fresh and hot. My mom and I are going to Enchilada Wednesday tonight, and I am sure looking forward to a night of laughs and nostalgia. I graduated on Wednesday June 3, 2009, so guess where we all ate after the ceremony? Yep, El Fenix. I cannot believe it's been almost a year since I left the halls of Coppell High School. 52 Enchilada Wednesdays later, I am back for the summer and ready to reminisce about my amazing college experience.

3 comments:

  1. i'm a big reminiscer too! i love love love talking about memories! it's the best! And btw. i went to El Fenix last thursday with some friends and had a grand time! we stayed there forever talking! yay for El Fenix :)
    love ya! <3
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks, Rebecca=] See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you got paid for that endorsement! lol Good ole' chippin' and dippin'!

    ReplyDelete